Thursday, February 19, 2009

Nerves

I've been kind of nervous the past few days because of Payton's BP. I'm supposed to take her in for lab work today and start the blood pressure medicine this evening. I asked the nurse when I should start to worry and call them and they said any time her reading is above 130/85. Unfortunately when the sitter called today her blood pressure was 132/104. The sitter said when she sat Payton in the chair, her eyes just looked kind of glazed over and she kept repeating the same thing over and over and over in a quiet voice (which Payton doesn't do - usually when she's saying something over and over she talks LOUD and it's because she's excited). Anyways, the sitter said that kind of bothered her and when she got the first reading it was 132/104. She was hoping it was wrong, so took it on the other arm and sure enough it was that high. The nurse said when she's on the medicine they would like to see it in the 90/50 range, so I'm hopeful that's right where she'll be. Unfortunately, we don't have a pharmacy in town who has the medicine, so we have to travel about 45 minutes to get it. But, if it makes her feel better, it's worth it!

About three weeks ago I had been concerned about Payton. It was my Friday off and Payton had an AWFUL day. My mom stopped by to help me out for an hour (it had been a long time since Payton had been so 'abusive' but that day I needed help and am never afraid to call my mom or sisters for help (and if my mother in law lived closer, I'd feel comfortable enough to call her too). Thankfully, I've been blessed with some women in my life who have really been there for me when I needed them! :) Anyways, I thought at that point it could possibly be blood pressure, but wasn't sure. My mom offered to keep Payton that night and I almost hesitated because I felt it was to the point she was almost acting like it was high enough she could have a stroke (I was extremely nervous but didn't share it with anyone except Bob cause I always have a fear someone will think I'm a looney). The past few weeks haven't been nearly as bad as what that one week/weekend was, but it still makes me feel bad for her....and ofcourse thankful nothing serious happened.

For now, I'm so incredibly thankful Payton succeeded in letting us take her blood pressure....and also very thankful we all live in a time where they have medicine that can help. I know many people would say "it's just blood pressure" but is it okay to feel so sad over this? I'm pretty emotional over it and ready for the weekend.


7 comments:

Noel said...

I am so sorry that Payton has high blood pressure that really stinks. I do understand, it is not "just high Blood Pressure" it is so much more than that. Give me a call and let me know if there is anythign I can do for you? What med are they going to put her on? Sometimes other pharmacies can get the formula for mixing from Children's, we did that here in town with CVS and I know that Walgreen's will do it too.( don't know if there is one of those closer to ya)

Anyway, call me!

Anonymous said...

Hello - that is your daughter you are talking about. You know how it feels when your blood pressure is up just a little bit. How sad/scary it must be for her to have her blood pressure that high! I love that little girl to peaces, and we want her to be as healthy that she can possibly be. She can come play with me anytime! You have every right to be scared. That is not something that you want to mess with, and you know it!!! None of us think you are looney! (Heck look at the rest of us in your family)!

Love - Shawna

Tara said...

Thanks, Shawna. If I gave her the opportunity you know she'd move in with you guys :)

Penny said...

Awww. it's kindof bitter sweet, You are so happy that she finally welcomes you taking the blood pressure, but how sad that a child even has to know what a BP machine is? I soooo understand.

I am so glad you have broken through and she allows you to take it. Keep the faith! Hugs to Payton

Kerry said...

Just having these people in our lives to take our children :), ask questions, commiserate with is such a blessing. I'm glad your mom is there to help you :) Hope things have been going well witht he BP.

Nancy said...

I'm sorry about Payton's BP. I have only touched the tip of the iceberg with this issue, and it is terrifying. Just know you aren't alone and your feelings are completely understandable. Hope this stabilizes soon. HUGS

Aunt Jacque said...

I've been praying all is going well with Payten's BP. Your feeling nervous about all of this is very understandable. I love the song "Come to Jesus". A young man at our church sings it and it's always a favorite. Wish I lived closer so I could help out when you need it but you have one terrific Mom! I'm so thankful for her as I know you are also.